NAME ORIGINS AND OUTREACH
Philippides is an ancient Greek name meaning "Son of Philip"; Philip means "lover of horses". The name Philippides is also seen as a derivative from the ancient Greek name "Philippos/Philippus" . The Greek origin of the name Φίλιππος (Philippos, lit. "horse-loving" or "fond of horses" is from a compound of φίλος (phílos, "dear", "loved", "loving") and ἵππος (hippos, "horse"). In Ancient Greece, the ownership of horses was available only to those rich enough to afford them. Thus, "lover of horses" can also be understood as "noble". One of the bearers of the name is king Philip II of Macedon ( father of Alexander the Great) . Men who had fathers named Philip adopted some variation of the surname adding an " S ".These permanent surnames came into general use in Europe from 1000 AD to 1800 . Prominent Philips who popularized the name include kings of Macedonia and one of the apostles of early Christianity.
IT'S OUTREACH OVERVEIW
The name was later bestowed on six kings of France and five Kings of Spain. The forename Philip migrated to England via France in the 12th century and became popular.These permanent surnames came into general use in Europe from 1000 AD to 1800 Early on it appears as "Filippus" in the Documents relating to the Danelaw, Lincolnshire, dated 1142, and as "Philipus" in the Gilbertine Houses Charters of Lincolnshire, circa 1150. Philip was a popular first name in medieval Europe, it was imported into Wales quickly and became numerous by the late 13th century as Phelip, which was abbreviated as Phe: in early records. By the 15th century, it was found in small numbers in several parts of Wales, but it was mainly concentrated in the southern areas, especially Gwent and Morgannwg, where it reached 3%. Since it averaged 1% for all Wales, it was bound to form a significant modern surname by the patronymic route. The variant spellings of the surname are many, such as Philip, Philipp, Philipps, Philips, Phillip, Phillipp and, of course, Phillips. Early examples of the name in Scotland are Rauf Philippe, a Berwickshire landowner, who figures in the Ragman Roll of 1296; Robert Phillope who was sheriff clerk of Dunfries in 1629; and James Philip of Almerieclose, who was author of the Graemiad, an epic poem in Latin on the Claverhouse campaign of 1689. In the south, the name can be connected to Phelps or Phipps; in Scotland, the shortened form is Philp. In modern times, Phillips, an English name, has to some extent taken the place of Philbin, the Irish diminutive of Philip. With the prefix 'Mac', it is found in Cavan and Monaghan and there it is usually a branch of the Scottish clan MacDonnell of Keppoch.
THE ANCIENT ROYAL NAME OF PHILIPPIDES -PHILIPPOS CONTINUES .
THE OUTREACH OF THE ANCIENT GREEK BLOODLINE SPREADS OUT FURTHER INTO EUROPE .
PHILIPPES OF WALES - PICTON CASTLE IN PEMBROKESHIRE
Philipps was the son of Morgan Philipps of Picton and his wife Elizabeth Fletcher, daughter of Richard Fletcher of Bangor, Caernarvonshire. He was registrar of the diocese of Bangor. In 1585 he succeeded to the estate of Picton Castle which had passed to his father from William Philipps who was MP for Pembrokeshire in 1559. He spent much of his life involved in property disputes. He was High Sheriff of Pembrokeshire in 1597.
Throughout the 17th and 18th Century the Philipps’s of Picton Castle were the most powerful family in Pembrokeshire exercising both tremendous political, social and economic influence over all aspects of local life. They had vast estates were prominent philanthropists (being particularly supportive of the charity school movement). They were also Patrons of the arts and for generations supplied Pembrokeshire with Sherriffs, Justices of the Peace, Lord Lieutenants and MP’s.
The castle remained the centre of the Philipps family’s operations in Pembrokeshire up until the end of the 20th century. The Honourable Hanning Philipps and his wife Lady Marion Philipps were that last members of the family to live in the castle and they were the ones who gifted the castle, its collections and gardens to The Picton Castle Trust in 1987 (Registered Charity No 519693). The charity created by this generous gift is charged with preserving this important part of our heritage and with encouraging access for the benefit of the people of Wales.
Sir John Philipps, 1st Baronet
was a Welsh landowner and politician who sat in
the House of Commons in 1601.